Grilled Shrimp and Smoky Grilled-Corn Grits
Makes 4 to 6 servings
2 ears fresh corn
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese
2 teaspoons minced canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove, pressed
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 pound peeled, jumbo raw shrimp with tails (1 6/20 count), deveined
16 (6-inch) metal skewers
1 pt. grape tomatoes
1/2 (8-oz.) package fresh mushrooms, quartered
1 small green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat. Grill corn, covered with grill lid, 10 minutes or until done, turning once. Cut kernels from cobs. Discard cobs.
- Bring salt and 4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Gradually whisk in grits. Cook, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes or until thickened. Stir in corn kernels, cheese, and chipotle pepper. Cover and keep warm.
- Stir together olive oil and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl. Toss shrimp with olive oil mixture; let stand at room temperature 3 minutes.
- Remove shrimp from marinade, discarding marinade. Thread shrimp onto skewers alternately with tomatoes, mushrooms, and bell peppers.
- Grill kabobs, covered with grill lid, 4 to 5 minutes on each side or just until shrimp turn pink. Serve kabobs with grits, and sprinkle with cilantro just before serving.
Southern Living – June 2012