Chicken and Spinach Pasta Bake
- 8 ounces uncooked rigatoni
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 1 (10-oz.) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breasts
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1 (8-oz.) container chive-and-onion cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Prepare rigatoni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, spread oil on bottom of an 11- x 7-inch baking dish; add onion in a single layer.
- Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or just until tender. Transfer onion to a large bowl, and set aside.
- Drain chopped spinach well, pressing between layers of paper towels.
- Stir rigatoni, spinach, chicken, and next 4 ingredients into onion in bowl. Spoon mixture into baking dish, and sprinkle evenly with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake, covered, at 375° for 30 minutes; uncover and bake 15 more minutes or until bubbly.
Sausage ‘n’ Spinach Pasta Bake: Substitute 3 cups cooked, crumbled hot Italian sausage for 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breasts. Reduce salt to 1/4 tsp., and omit 1/2 tsp. pepper. Proceed with recipe as directed.
Southern Living Magazine